Safe Bike Training
- Wear a correctly fitted and fastened cycling helmet.
- Ensure that their bike is in good roadworthy condition.
- Carry some cash, mobile phone, spare inner tubes and a mini-pump on all Club rides.
- Ensure adequate hydration and nourishment on long rides by carrying drinks bottles and energy bars.
- Dress appropriately for the weather conditions.
- Wear reflective clothing and carry bike lights during evening and night sessions.
- Respect the rules of the public highways.
- Slow down, give way or stop in the interests of courtesy, safety or obligation.
- Avoid confrontation with other road users and pedestrians.
- Act responsibly to promote the good image of cyclists.
On group rides
- Keep to the left wherever possible;
- Ride two abreast where the conditions allow, and go single file on busy roads.
- Maintain an orderly riding pattern at all times.
- Learn to warn other riders in the group of pot-holes, glass, parked cars and other hazards which may require the following riders to alter course.
- Not use tri-bars within the pack.
- Where possible, appoint a group leader and sweeper from the Club coaches or more experienced riders to ensure the group stays together and slower riders are not dropped.
- Take the phone number of the group leader or sweeper so that the member can alert them in case they get dropped, run into difficulties, or do not wish to continue on the ride.
- Pay attention to the route taken on group rides, so that they can retrace their steps should they drop out of the ride for any reason.